· Status: On display
· Category: Military
· Length: 12,4 m
· Wingspan: 16,5 m
· Height: 3,8 m
· Max weight: 9900 kg
· Max speed: 612 km/t
· Max height: 10370 m
· Range: 3300 km
· Engine: 2 RR Merlin 21, 2x1460 Hk
· Other details:
(F.B. Mk. VI): 4 x 20 mm Hispano cannon, 4 x 303 MG, 250 kg bombs or rockets
De Havilland DH 98 T. Mk. III Mosquito
Twin-engined fighter bomber with a crew of two
”The Wooden Wonder”
The Mosquito aircraft type must be considered one of the most successful designs from World War II. The prototype flew for the first time in November 1940 and it was followed by a range of variants: photo-reconnaissance, bomber night fighter, fighter bomber, trainer and target tug. The British aircraft factory De Havilland specialised in the use of laminated wood as a material. With balsa wood and plywood in the fuselage and wings the factory created a light weight, high speed aircraft at a time when there was a shortage of aluminium alloys. A total of 7,781 Mosquitoes were built.
During World War II, B-Flight of 333 Norwegian Squadron was equipped with the Mosquito. Its missions were armed reconnaissance along the Norwegian coast and attacks on German shipping and U-boats on the surface. The squadron lost 21 Mosquitoes on operations and training between May 1943 and the end of the war. After the war a further five aircraft crashed before the aircraft was scrapped in Norway in February 1952.
The Royal Norwegian Air Force Museum’s aircraft is a D.98 Mosquito T. Mk.III/”FB.Mk.VI”-TW117. Through an exchange with the RAF Museum in 1991 the Norwegian Defence Museum obtained a De Havilland T.Mk.III, serial number TW117. The aircraft was modified using a nose section from a fighter bomber, FB.Mk.VI. It was painted in 333 Squadron’s colour scheme to convey Norwegian war history. TW117 was new from the factory in 1946 and mainly served as a trainer in British training squadrons. In 1971 the aircraft was transferred to the RAF Museum, Hendon, and exhibited when the museum opened in 1972.
The aircraft is painted in the camouflage colours dark green and sea grey. The squadron code KK-T is painted on in duck egg green. The serial number TW 117 has been kept. On top of the wings there are RAF roundels and corresponding “at war” roundels with yellow outlines are painted on both sides of the fuselage. The cockpit from the time as a training aircraft has been retained, but the armament is that of a FB.Mk.VI.