· Status: On display
· Category: Military
· Length: 9,37 m
· Wingspan: 11,6 m
· Height: 1,9 m
· Max weight: 5618 kg
· Max speed: 880 km/t
· Max height: 14000 m
· Range: 2225 km med to dropptanker
· Engine: Goblin 3, 1540 kilo S.t.
· Other details:
4 x 20 mm Hispano cannon, 8 rockets or 2 x 250 kg bombs
De Havilland DH-100 FB.52 Vampire
”The Spider Crab”
Single-seat fighter bomber
The De Havilland Vampire was number two in the series of jet-propelled fighter aircraft that the British developed during World War II. The aircraft’s appearance was unique. The body consisted of the same materials as the DH Mosquito, with a core of balsa wood and inner and outer layers of birch veneer. The wings, tail booms and tail surface were in aluminium. The short length of both the air intake and the jet pipe reduced air resistance and internal friction to a minimum. The prototype took off in September 1943 and the fighter Vampire F Mk. 1 entered service in 1946. Later models included fighter bombers, night fighters and training aircraft. The latter two models were two-seaters and were designated the DH.115 Vampire. The Vampire was sold to 29 countries and altogether 4,366 of these planes were built.
The De Havilland Vampire was the RNoAF’s first jet fighter. Between May 1948 and April 1951 a total of 20 F Mk. II and 36 FB Mk. 52 Vampires were supplied to Norway. In the summer and autumn of 1952 six two-seat training version Vampires T Mk.55 were delivered to 336 and 337 Squadrons. After a vain attempt to sell the remaining aircraft in 1955 and 1956 they were all disposed of as scrap, except for the six T Mk.55s, which were sold back to the factory.
The Royal Norwegian Air Force Museum’s Vampire is a fighter bomber FB Mk.52, serial number V0184. When it came to Norway in 1950 its registration was B-B1 and it was delivered to 336 Squadron. In July 1951, the aircraft was transferred to 337 Squadron and given the code ZK-U. When the aircraft type was phased out ZK-U was transferred to Værnes Air Station and put into storage. The aircraft was written off in 1957 and selected as a museum object. It then had a total of 618 flying hours. After the establishment of the Royal Norwegian Air Force Museum the aircraft was transported to Bodø.
The plane is painted in two colours, green on the upper side and grey-blue underneath. The tail booms bear the squadron code ZK-U in white and the serial number in black. The squadron code flanks a Norwegian roundel. On the upper and lower wing surfaces there are Norwegian roundels and at the front of the fuselage the aircraft’s letter “U” is painted in green-blue on a white background.